Also see Wes' HIV & Neuropathy Medication Regimen, which shows just Wes' antiretroviral & neuropathy medications, and how that regimen evolved over time.
Major differences in this list versus last full medication regimen posted November 16, 2001:
- Changed from Combivir™ tabs 150/300mg (AZT/3TC), BID to EpZiCom QD and then Truvada QD
- Oxandrin for weight maintenance was discontinued, replaced by intervals of a different anabolic called deca durabolin, then by ongoing low dose deca durabolin, which stopped the periods of weight loss but in time created polycythemia and led to its discontinuance.
- Changed antidepressant from Zoloft to Effexor XR.
- Changed type of testosterone replacement therapy from a daily rub-on which irritated the arms to a twice-weekly injectible. I also began using a benzoyl peroxide wash in the shower to help with mild acne related to my replenished testosterone levels.
- Carnitor (carnitine) [three 330mg tablets BID] for neuropathy was replaced by an over-the-counter version of L-carnitine.
- Went through a whole new allergy regimen in California, with allergy injections originally 2x/week as concentration was increased. In time the intervals were decreased and finally maintenance level achieved at 1x/month. Also, in time the Allegra was able to be shifted from a daily medication to a PRN (as needed) basis.
- The asthma/allergy regimen was simplified by changing from individual Serevent and Flovent into the combination medication Advair.
· acyclovir (generic of Zovirax™) 400mg tablets BID
prophylaxis for herpes outbreaks
· Advair™ 100mcg/50mcg (fluticasone propionate/salmeterol) 1 puff BID
corticosteroid prophylactic for wheezing & long-acting broncho-dilator
· clonazepam (generic of Klonopin™) 1mg QD
use at bedtime
· cyanocobalamin (B12), 1cc 3x/week, 1000mcg/ml
· Depakote™ (valproic acid) 250mg tabs, 1 BID
anticonvulsant for both neuropathy & mood swings
· fluticasone propionate (generic of Flonase™) 2 puffs each nostril QD
sinus steroid to help reduce discharge
· gabapentin (generic of Neurontin™) caps 300mg, QD
for the neuropathy in my arms and feet
· nortriptyline (generic of Pamelor™) two 10mg QD in morning
for depression in conjunction with Effexor XR™, and also morning neuropathy
· ranitidine (generic of Zantac™) 150mg BID
acid-reducer, got rid of the burning in my stomach that started 12/91 & resumed 2/01
· Singulair™ (montelukast sodium) 10mg tablets QD, at 5-7pm
anti-inflammatory [leukotriene receptor antagonist], using in conjunction with Advair to help reduce need for inhaled steroids
· testosterone: depo-testosterone or testosterone-cypionate, 200mg/mL, .25mL/2x wkly (100mg/week), 1mL vial
restored my appetite
helps with lipodystrophy
helps restore & maintain lean muscle mass, which I lost in 2001, 2003, 2004 and again in 2005
may help with fatigue
· Truvada™ The former is a nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor the latter nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor. Both are considered NRTIs. QD
the 2/3 & 3/3 of my triple combination antiretroviral therapy, along with Viramune; begun 08/25/2006 after EpZiCom™ (Epivir-3TC 300mg/Ziagen-abacavir sulfate 600mg) 05/06/2006-08/20/2006 nearly killed me
· Viramune™ (nevirapine) 200mg, BID
the NNRTI 3/3 of my triple combination antiretroviral therapy
· Zoloft™ (sertraline HCL) 50mg, QD in AM
· Zovirax 5% ointment 15g
topical treatment for herpes outbreaks
· alpha lipoic acid 300mg BID.
It helps with neuropathy. Also improves insulin sensitivity (Built to Survive p. 48) and reduces damage to the liver (p. 108)
· allergy injections 1x/month effective 8/17/04
I cannot be put on any beta blockers and continue allergy injections, as beta blockers block adrenalin -- which would make a systemic allergy reaction hard to treat
· beta carotene 15mg QD
· calcium 600mg+D 200iu BID (1000mg/day for those <50 per Consumer Reports September 2001, page 62; 1200-1500mg>50.)
bone strengthener, since I don't get calcium from dairy products (being lactose intolerant)
· C 1000mg TID (per Built to Survive p. 25-26)
· E 1000mg QD
· glucosamine/chondroitin 750/600mg BID
joint function support -- to counteract clicking/cracking noises in both hips and joint pain in both shoulders
- guaifenesin 600mg, 2 tablets BID
mucous thinner to help prevent the thick-infection problems I've had
· hypertonic saline solution washes of sinuses QD
to help prevent accumulation that leads to infection
· L-carnitine 1000mg BID
It helps with neuropathy. Plus it may have some effect on preventing development of mitochondrial toxicity and lactic acidosis.
· L-lysine 500mg QD
· multi-vitamin QD
general good health
(See also summary of study by Dr. Mariana Baum of the University of Miami which found "HIV(+) people needed 6 to 25 times the RDA levels of essential nutrients to get healthy cellular levels of these nutrients." -- quoted in Built to Survive, p. 101)
· NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) 600mg (sustained release) TID
antioxidant and glutathione precursor
· Omega-3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) 360mg / DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 240mg, TID
help maintain heart and vascular health
Also appears to reduce the inflammation of arthritis. In 1994, the medical journal Arthritis & Rheumatism reported that a group of subjects who had higher omega-3 intake were able to decrease levels of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs after three months. Potential as a natural treatment for depression according to Dr.Gerald Hurowitz, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Columbia University, as published in the 9/2002 Biography.
· Water 7+ liters QD (9 liters during sinus infections)
helps kidneys clear medications and also dilutes mucous to help avoid sinus infections.
- albuterol inhaler, 2puffs BID
for wheezing onset
- Allegra 180mg QD
antihistamine for allergic rhinitis & conjunctivitis
· Ana-KitTM (& EpiPen epinephrine auto-injector)
kept on-hand to counteract anaphylactic reaction at home
· AveloxTM 400mg QD
for sinus & upper-respiratory infections -- helps
· lidocaine 1% injectible (for Rocephin)
to reconstitute Rocephin & make injection burn less
· Octicair Solution™ (neomycin & polymyxin & hydrocortisone otic)
for ear aches, generally associated with sinusitis
· prednisone 20mg, take 3 (60 mg) if enter the red zone of asthma action plan.
"Call MD immediately for subsequent steroid dose."
· Rocephin™ IM convenience kit, 500mg
kept on-hand to enable strong response to upper-respiratory infections that happen on weekends or vacation -- helps
· TriMix 5cc vial .12cc (up to .25cc) qd prn + syringes.
injectible for ED. It works, avoiding the stuffy nose and flushing of oral Viagra/Cialis/Levitra